Thursday, June 19, 2014

Tech Thursday: Tired of Junk Mail?




Technology Thursday is a weekly linky dedicated to all things technology related. Share reviews of websites or apps you've tried, tech tips that make your {teaching or personal} life easier, and helpful tutorials. Our hope is that this linky provides a place for teachers to share and learn new ways to use technology and engage students!

Be a rule follower!

Rule #1: You must include the image above and a link to our linky somewhere in your blog post.
Rule #2: Follow the Rule of Three...visit the two blogs who link up before you and the one immediately after you and leave some love on their pages!
Rule #3: This linky is not intended for product promotion. You may include products you've created in your posts, but they should not be the sole focus of the post. {Exception...freebies...because everybody loves a good freebie!}


Technology Thursday's Tip of the Week!



Tired of getting junk mail?  Don't want to give out your email address to another online company? Resistant to handing out personal information? Then this post is for you!

Each day I get about 100 emails.  Some go straight to junk mail, some go immediately to trash with a simple click of my trusty mouse, but very few actually get read.  This process is becoming more complicated since I seem to be adding more and more email addresses to my repertoire; I have personal email, class email, school email, TPT email, blog email, and the list goes on.  

There are now several options for those of us in this predicament.  All of the options fall under the category of  "disposable email services".  These services provide valid emails that expire after a certain amount of time. 

For example, I go to a car site that has a vehicle I might want to purchase.  The site wants my email address in order to give me a price.  I know they will be sending me useless emails or tracking my movements on the web if I enter my email BUT I really want information on the vehicle.  What to do, what to do?  

Before now I have just entered my personal email address and taken the email "hit" so to speak. NO MORE.  Now I go to one of the disposable email providers (listed below).  I get my valid BUT disposable email address.  Copy the email address and paste it on the website.  I am in!  It really is that easy.

Each disposable email site is set up a little different and has different time limits available for their "fake" emails.  Listed below are some disposable email sites but definitely not all.  (This site was very helpful in reviewing these services.)

10 Minute Mail:  Your email address pops up as soon as you enter this site.  You get 10 minutes before the email expires, but you can extend the email address for another 10 minutes.

Fake Inbox:  On this site you have to click a button to create your email address.  The button is labeled, "Create Random Email Address".  Once you click on the button, a valid and random email address is given to you.  The site gives you 60 minutes before the email expires and you can add another 60 minutes if needed.

Air Mail: Air Mail is more of a temporary email service.  You can receive email, check your inbox, and pick your username (to a point),  Air Mail lasts as long as you keep your browser window active.  Your temporary email address expires after 24 hours of inactivity or when you close your browser window.

Get rid of the SPAM!  Get rid of the JUNK!  Disposable email....who knew?

Let me know what you think!







   

    An InLinkz Link-up
   

5 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I am going to bookmark Fake Inbox!

    I have a technology question that I was wondering if anyone would like to tackle! (I don't need the answer right away... it could be the subject of a future post!) Many images I add to my blog end up somewhat fuzzy once I post it on the blog. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? (Right now I am creating in PowerPoint and turning it into a PNG or JPEG in Paint. I assume that's my problem, but I don't know a better way!)

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea this existed. Thank you! I'm sure I will have the need to try this out in the near future.

    Mary
    Fit to be Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea. I too delete a bunch of emails before ever even reading. It takes me about 5 minutes each morning to swipe through the ones I want and those I don't. I remember at some point that someone posted about a website that would go through all your email subscriptions and wipe out the ones you don't need anymore. It's not coming to me right this minute, but it will. I thought it was so neat, but I never ended up doing it. FOUND IT....It's called Unroll Me www.unroll.me
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just unscribed from 101 sites by using Unroll Me! :)
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  5. I Like these, I'm going to have to try out AirMail, I think that would make the most sense for me. Surprisingly junk mail doesn't bother me too much, but I think a ton goes into my spam fold anyway. My bigger issue is logging into sites using Facebook, etc--because then it tracks all that stuff too. I don't think I can win.

    thanks
    matt
    Digital: Divide & Conquer

    ReplyDelete

We LOVE to read your comments, and prefer to reply by email so that you will receive our responses. Make sure you're not a "No Reply Blogger" or leave your email address in your comment.Thanks for stopping by! :)